Friday, June 26, 2009

Hersman family history blog

I started this blog in order to keep track of and share the research that I have done on the Hersman family.
When I started getting interested in family history in 2006, I had no idea of the wealth of information that would be found on this line of the family.
My Hersman link is through my Grandfather John Hersman who married my Grandmother Zola Kirkham.
I was able to link my Hersman ancestors to a line that goes back to 1675. The name Hersman, originally Hirschmann, is German.
Our Hersman line goes back to Mattheus Ulrich Hirschmann who came to America, from Germany, on the Duke of Wirtemberg on October 16th, 1751. He arrived in Pennsylvania.
Mattheus had 11 children and was married at least 3 times. They were German Baptists aka Dunkards. He died in Virginia in 1801.
All of his sons eventually changed their name to either Hershman or Harshman.
Since this line can be traced back so far, there is a lot of information to share. Out of the 11 lines that I am researching I have the most documentation on the Hersman line.
Anyone who notices any errors or omissions please let me know.

1 comment:

  1. I've been researching my family history & just found your blog. I am a descendant of Christopher, son of Mattheus Ulrich Hirschmann. My last name is spelled 'Hershman'.

    ReplyDelete